Tips For Maintaining Your Car’s Value
Remember that magical day when you first pulled into the driveway in your new vehicle? For the first few months you probably snarled at passengers who brought in drinks, yelled at the kids for leftover french fries, and parked far away so that no one scratched your beloved investment. But, slowly, that level of care and overprotection passes, and all of the years you’ve been driving your car start to show on the outside and inside. You then decide it’s time to sell the old beater for a new set of wheels, but sadly, your neglect has left it of little value to anyone. You ask yourself, where did I go wrong?
Before you get to this point, know that you can maintain your car’s value and get a decent return on your investment with these tips from Biggers Mazda in Elgin!
5 Helpful Car Care Tips
- Avoid Excessive Mileage: The Federal Highway Administration’s national average of miles per year is approximately 13,476. Although you did purchase your vehicle to actually drive it, it’s wise to avoid excessive mileage, not only to prevent unnecessary wear and tear, but also to avoid depreciation in your car’s value caused by high mileage.
- Choose Parking Wisely: The elements such as wind, snow, rain, and even sun can bring damage to your paint, trim, and moldings. When possible, park in the shade, a shelter, or even a climate-controlled garage.
- Complete Routine Maintenance: Keeping up with your vehicle’s recommended service is vital to the overall health of your car and will grant you a more reliable vehicle in the long run. Be sure to keep record of routine maintenance as well as any repair, because most buyers will request these records as proof of the car’s condition.
- Just Say No: The temptation to eat, drink, or even smoke in your vehicle can be overwhelming. Just say no! Odors such as smoke and stains from food and drink can ruin the appearance (and smell) of your vehicle.
- Wash and Wax: You only get one chance at a first impression, and a clean exterior sends a message to buyers that you cared for your car and maintained it well during your time of ownership. A good rule of thumb is to treat your car to a monthly wash and wax to keep its finish shiny and protected.
Visit Biggers Mazda
For more information on maintaining your car’s value, or to find out what your vehicle is worth as a trade in, stop in today at Biggers Mazda. We await the opportunity to serve you!